Connect with us

Crime & Safety

The Lonoke County officer charged with manslaughter in teen’s death, faces 3-10 years in prison, released on a $15,000 bond



Lonoke County, Arkansas – The now former Lonoke County deputy is facing manslaughter charges in the teen’s death.

According to the latest reports, the ex-cop Michael Davis, a former sergeant with the Lonoke County Sheriff’s Office, turned himself in as soon as hear was charged with manslaughter on Friday. However, he was later released from jail on a $15,000 bond set by the Lonoke County judge.

Davis is now facing 3-10 years in prison for shooting to death the 17-year-old Hunter Brittain during a traffic stop on June 23. The incident happened outside an auto repair shop along Arkansas Highway 89 south of Cabot when the teenager was shot to death for no apparent reason.

Brittain’s family members are devasted by the judge decision to set a bond for the killer of their beloved son and nephew.

“It’s going to cost him $15,000 to go home and be with his family, while we’re at a loss. We’ll never have Hunter standing with us again,” Jesse Brittain, Hunter’s uncle said. “Our police officers are paid to serve and protect us. They can’t come in and kill our kids and not have any consequences for it. It’s not fair.”

For Hunter’s aunt, this has been the first time to see the man who shot her nephew.

“I wish he would look at us and give us some sort of apologetic look something, but nothing. It was just solemn,” Mary Robertson said.

Hunter’s family was asked not to harass Davis during the bond hearing.

“I don’t feel like we have harassed anyone. We’ve been on social media and we’ve stated what we feel, but as far as harassment. I feel like we all have done a really good job being peaceful,” Robertson said.

As we already reported, the unfortunate incident happened for no apparent reason. When questioned by police, the deputy said he decided to shot Hunter once in the neck after the teenager failed to comply with his orders, went to the back of his car and reached for something in the trunk.

The investigation showed that the boy was holding an antifreeze container in his hands when he was shot. No firearms were found in the car, the investigation confirmed.

According to another passenger who was in the car with Hunter the fatal day, the officer never ordered Hunter to raise his hands as he claimed during the investigation. The passenger added that he and Hunter were working on the transmission on Hunter’s truck.

The ex-cop is expected to show in court on the next court hearing in November.